Wednesday, July 22, 2009

BREAKING NEWS: Jon Obi Mikel Signs New Five-Year Deal At Chelsea

Chelsea have today confirmed that midfielder Jon Obi Mikel has signed a new five-year contract at the club, joining French winger Florent Malouda, who yesterday inked a new three-year deal at the club, in committing himself to the Blues.

The powerful 22-year-old was delighted to have extended his time at the club, telling the Blues' official website, "It was easy to commit to because I am happy here and when the opportunity came it was good to sign after speaking to the club.

"My future with the new manager will be bright, and I think we have a good working relationship already,' he added.

"All the managers I have played for here have their own type of systems they want us to play, and whoever comes in will want to change little bits and pieces.

"There is not much to change but they all bring in different views, and the new manager wants us to play in a certain formation which we need to get used to before the season starts."

Obi Mikel featured for Chelsea in their friendly against Inter in the Rose Bowl last night, and is enjoying getting back to full sharpness under the management of Carlo Ancelotti, who has altered the Chelsea tactics, lining the side up in a 4-4-2 formation, with a diamond-shaped midfield.

"It has been hard work getting back to fitness but we all want to be sharp for the start of the season, training is hard work but we have to do it," the Nigerian international added.

"The new formation doesn't make too much difference to me in defensive midfield,' he explained, 'but perhaps it is a little harder as I have to cover more ground for the team, but I feel I am up to the task and I am sure I can do it."

No comments: