Saturday, September 5, 2009

Mikel: It’s do or die

Chelsea FC of England and Super Eagles midfielder, Mikel Obi, insists that the players need to compliment each other very well in order to beat Tunisia in Sunday’s World Cup qualifier in Abuja.

"It’s going to be a difficult game, the out come depends on how we approach the game and how well we play. If we get out there and we play poorly we lose the game. We cannot afford to make mistakes, we got to go into the game with full concentration and make sure we give it our best and get the most important thing which is the three points at stake.

"Of course I would be playing as an offensive midfielder like I always do for Nigeria. I like playing various positions but I am always happy when I come back to Nigeria and play in my preferred role as an offensive midfielder. That is where I made my mark and that is where I love to play most time.

"I know the enormity of this match and but I do not want to play under pressure by carrying the burden of the team all alone. I cannot become a Maradona by playing every where, that is not the way it works. I play my part like the way I have always done and we must play like a team. Other guys in the team have to play well too so that our collective efforts would give us victory. It is a team game and we should play for each other to achieve result.

"I am worried that I have not been able to register my name on the score sheet in a long time and on Sunday, I would try to do just that by trying to make attempts at scoring but I won’t do that to the detriment of the team. If any one scores, good for the team but I would definitely try to make sure I score" he stated.

He said the English Premier league was too young to conclude that he had lost his starting position under new coach Ancelloti pointing out that the new coach is only rotating his team to know what every player can do "As it is in Chelsea now, anybody can be on the bench just like I have been in recent games."
He charged his Chelsea fans in Nigeria to come out in their large numbers to cheer the Super Eagles to victory on Sunday and that he would not disappoint them

No comments: