Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nigerian Team List For Mozambique

Newcastle of England striker, Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins is billed to return to the Super Eagles starting line-up against Mozambique as Head Coach, Amodu Shaibu released the list of 22 invited players for this month’s 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying match in Maputo.
According to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Chief Media Officer, Ademola Olajire, Amodu’s list has three goalkeepers, eight defenders, five midfielders and six forwards.Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide and Dele Aiyenugba
Defenders: Taye Taiwo, Joseph Yobo, Obinna Nwaneri, Daniel Shittu, Chidi Odiah, Dele Adeleye, Apam Onyekachi, Yusuf MohammedMidfielders: John Mikel Obi, Kalu Uche, Sani Kaita, Osaze Odemwingie, Olufemi Ajilore
Forwards: Nwankwo Kanu, Obafemi Martins, Ikechukwu Uche, Chinedu Obasi, Obinna Nsofor, Joseph Akpala
Meanwhile, Amodu said he had never told anyone he would quit the job if the NFF Technical Committee vets his list of players for any match.The 49 –year old tactician spoke against the background of media reports that he was vehement about the decision of the technical committee to look through his list of players to be invited for this month’s 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Mozambique in Maputo.
“I never told anyone I would resign. I am not that kind of person, and I want to use this opportunity to tell our media people to stop all this sensationalism. We want to remain focus for the task at hand and it is important to be sober.
“Even in my first stint as Head Coach of the Super Eagles, there was a technical committee that used to brainstorm over any list; it is nothing strange. The NFF technical committee has a right to brainstorm, all for the good of the nation. What I did say was that the Committee and I are united for one course, that the Members have respect for me and I respect them. I believe they will not reject my list, though I can be asked to explain why one player or the other is invited.
“There are so many things we have to do to get the ticket and I don’t want distractions. I appreciate the tremendous efforts of the gentlemen of the media; they are also principal stakeholders. But I urge that we exercise restraint in the way we report certain issues”.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have paid for the Super Eagles’ hotel and training venue in Johannesburg, South Africa. Players and officials of the team will start arriving in Johannesburg on Monday, March 23, and be there until the evening of Friday, March 27, when they take the short flight to Maputo. The team will train on the artificial turf of Machava Stadium on Saturday, March 28, while the match takes place on Sunday, March 29.

No comments: