Monday, March 2, 2009

Obafemi Martins Vows To Atone For Bolton Miss

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins is going to make amends for his dreadful miss against Bolton Wanderers at the weekend, he has assured Toon fans today.
The Nigerian missed two opportunites to score yesterday, one a glaring miss from a Jonas Gutierrez left-wing cross, and was substituted by stand-in Magpies' manager Chris Hughton, to the chagrin of some sections of the Toon Army.
However, the striker, who is making a comeback form a hernia operation he underwent in January, has promised that he will score more goals, and soon, to help keep the Geordies in the top division.
"I tried as hard as I possibly could to score, but it’s a little bit difficult when you come back," he told The Newcastle Chronicle today.
"I had a chance, but I missed it. I just have to continue to play my football. The ball was a little bit slow for the second header, so I tried to jump and head it, but unfortunately I missed it.
"For me, we didn’t play well at all. It’s not good at all, because we have to put our maximum effort into our football.
"It’s been a long, long time, but I think I’m over my injury now.
"I’m happy I’m back with the team, and I hope to score a lot of goals before the end of the season. Now hopefully I can go on a run of goals."
Martins will want that run to begin on Wednesday evening, when the Magpies welcome League Cup winnners Manchester United to St James' Park for a crucial league game, especially as he missed the club's trip to Old Trafford way back in August, when Kevin Keegan was still managing the team.

No comments: